- Wash prawns and de-vain, rinse the locust beans clean and set aside
- Wash the okra and cut of the pointed edge (optional) cut the okra into manageable size leaving out the stalk. Add into a blender or food processor and process until the desired coarse size is achieved. (use the image as a guide)
- Note: Using a blender will require adding water to aid blending and if care is not taken, the okra could be puréed. I suggest you pulse at interval to achieve a coarse texture. Food processor does not require water to achieve the desired texture.
- Chopped okra may require the addition of potash or baking soda (Blending or grating aids viscosity in the okra)
- Add hot water into a pan and place on the hob, add the fresh prawns if using, pinch of salt and cook for about 2-3 minutes (till it turns pink, don’t overcook or it will be chewy and rubbery)
- Take the prawns out of the pan and set aside.
- Add the chopped okra to the prawn stock and stir rigorously to incorporate with the stock. Cook for another 2 minutes, add the locust beans and stir to combine. Continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes. Add the cooked prawns back to the okra, add salt, seasoning and ground crayfish (taste for salt and seasoning and adjust accordingly. Add more water if needed)