How to Prepare Okro Soup (Obe ila)
Okro soup is made from okro (an edible green flowering plants). It is highly nutritious and very rich in iron. It is one of Nigeria’s most delicious delicacies and super easy to prepare. Okro has a unique way of interacting with ogbono, egusi or any kind of vegetables to make palatable soups, it can be cooked with ewedu (jute) also; this makes Okro extremely dynamic👌
Okro is known in many English countries as “lady’s fingers” while the Yoruba clan refer to it as “ila”.
The thick gluey substance from Okro binds cholesterol and bile acid which in turn reduces the risk of having diabetes, cardiovascular diseases and obesity. It is rich in vitamins and minerals like; Vitamins B & C, Folic acid, Calcium, Potassium and has a very high dietary fiber content. These nutritional qualities make Okro very healthy and necessary for regular consumption……..
Okro may be consumed based on preference, it may be eaten raw, dried before cooking or shredded and cooked. It can be prepared with or without palm oil. Okro is a draw soup as it belongs to the family of ewedu & ogbono because of its slimy nature; which make them qualify as “draw soup”.
Ingredients for Okro soup
Salt to taste
- Slice, cut or shredd okro into tiny piece (the tinier the slices, the slimier it gets), blend the fresh pepper and slice the bulb of onions.
- Wash the ponmo in clean water by scrapping dirts with a knife.
- Debone smoked fish and then rinse in warm water with Salt.
- Remove crab shell and peel off prawn skin, then rinse in clean water.
- Boil ponmo and Stockfish with seasoning cubes, onions with salt, when tender, boil crab slightly with seasonings for about 5 minutes. Slice ponmo when tender
- Slice uziza leaf into pieces on a chopping board.
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- In a clean pot, heat palm oil on low heat, when hot enough for frying, pour in the onions stir and fry, add warm water or stock water.
- Add the blended pepper, ponmo, crayfish, smoked and stock fish.
- Introduce the shredded Okro and stir again, allow to boil for 3 minutes, add seasoning cubes with salt to taste.
- Add the crab and prawn with uziza leaf and stir, allow simmer for another 3 minutes. Bring down from heat and then serve…