HOW TO COOK NIGERIAN FRIED RICE
Fried Rice is one meal that will always remain a Nigerian favorite. Rice in Nigeria is usually eaten at special occasions. Birthdays, Wedding Ceremonies, Christening, House Warming etc. Rice is the most consumed food in Nigeria.
However, there are different ways of cooking rice especially in this part of the world. There is the Nigeria Jollof rice (Orange Jollof), Cocoanut Rice, White Rice, Fried Rice, Tuwo Shinkafa, Rice pudding etc, all of which are health foods Nigerians can’t do without.
This article will however beam its searchlight on the preparation of the Nigerian Fried Rice.
- 6 cups cooked rice I used Basmati
- 1/4- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2- pound liver cut bite size
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon pepper sauce chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1-2 teaspoon maggie powder or chicken bouillon optional
- 1 tablespoon maggie liquid or soy sauce optional
- salt to taste
- 12-16 oz vegetables peas, carrots, green beans
Directions for Cooking Nigerian Fried Rice
- Break up the clumpy rice before starting.
- Heat a large wok or skillet on medium high heat with about a tablespoon of canola or vegetable oil.
- Add the rice stir vigorously for about 2-3 minutes adding Maggie liquid and a tablespoon or more of water or chicken/beef stock as need to moistened rice. Set aside. Quickly wipe the wok or skillet with a clean paper towel or cloth.
- Heat 1teaspoon oil in the wok; add shrimp, lightly seasoned with salt. Sauté until just cooked through. Remove add to the fried rice.
- Next add another tablespoon of oil, let it heat up, then add the liver or beef lightly season with salt and pepper , quickly stir fry for about a 2 minutes. Remove and add to the rice. Quickly wipe the wok or skillet with a clean paper towel or cloth.
- Then add a tablespoon of oil into the wok, followed by onions, thyme, garlic ,peas, carrots, pepper sauce,white pepper, curry powder, and chicken bouillon powder. Stir until fragrant for about 2 minutes.
- Finally return the combination of rice, liver, and shrimp to the wok. Stir until everything has been fully combined. Adjust seasoning salt, pepper if necessary.
- Garnish with chopped scallion and serve