Nigerian Jollof Rice the Best African Jollof
- There is no party in Nigeria especially in the South Western region where Jollof rice will not show face. However, it is the best know African dish outside the continent.
According to Ronke Edoho https://9jafoodie.com good party Jollof Rice is defined by the Smokey characteristics it possess, it is best prepared in a local cast iron pot called Koko-irin also known as Saki Pot because of its thickness so that the rice will not get burn in the process.
Jollof rice looks very good when the grains stands one one. To achieve this, you have to make sure that you don’t flood the rice in the process of cooking or else, the rice will turn out to be what the yoruba’s call “Egbo” which means a marshy rice.
Pre-cooking Jollof Rice
Before cooking the Jollof rice, there are some preparations or foundations we need to make to perfect the jollof rice which are:
- Pepe mixture- This is really important as the taste of the jollof rice depends on it, make sure you don’t use soared pepe and tomatoes. I usually blend my pepe mixture and keep in a deep freezer for future use.
- Meat Boiling- This is also important, when boiling the meat you will add some ingredients like onions spice cube and salt, the water (meat stock) is very important as it is the Nigerian touch to the Jollof.
Let’s go to ingredients
- Spice cube
- Bay leaf
- Mixed Pepe
- Tomato paste
- Meat stock
- Ground nut oil
Now that the ingredients are readily available let’s move to the step by step guide of Jollof Rice Preparation.
- Place a pot on a medium heat and pore 2/3 cup of ground nut oil
- Fry sliced onion, spices bay leave and tomato paste stir and leave for 2-3 minutes
- Add in pepe mixture cover and let it cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Now comes in our Meat stock (omi eran) that makes it Nigerian, add in Water, seasoning cubes, salt to taste and stir and leave for 10 minutes.
- Now add in washed drained rice and cover the pot do not stir, reduce the heat a bit and leave to cook for 25-30minutes.
- Add in butter, sliced tomatoes and onions, now increase the heat. Leave to cook for 4-6 minutes.
- Now stir the cooked rice. Turn off heat and leave it covered for 10 minutes before serving.
Now your jollof rice is ready for consumption Yummy!!!!. What would you like beside your Jollof Rice? mine is fried plantain. Tell me yours in the comment section.